TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR THE CHIMNEY DOCTOR LIMITED
We undertake to do the best job possible for our customers for a quoted price. That is our commitment to you. Of course, like many businesses there is some ‘small print’ so here it is:
We operate a ‘fixed’ pricing scheme for a straight forward sweep or job. We rely on you to tell us what we are sweeping – the price will be quoted to you based on that information. If you have failed to tell us in advance of any problems, or that it is, for example a fireplace that is larger than normal, we reserve the right to ‘re-quote’ on arrival. You can decline to use the service at that point, although a site visit charge will apply at our discretion which will be the usual standard / regular inspection and sweeping charge - currently £60 - or If we encounter a problem (this might for example, be a blockage or a problem flue, or a very neglected non-regularly swept flue or flue with tar build-up) where we offer advice to remediate the problem. The sweep will advise you if there are any extra charges to be made. If you decide you do not want the sweep to continue with the job, we reserve the right to make a charge to cover our costs, including a contribution towards work already undertaken.
- Payment is due at the time of provision of the service, except where arranged in advance.
- Various payment options are offered. You may pay by cash, bank transfer and cheque.
- If we find a problem we will tell you. If we can resolve the problem but it is necessary to charge extra, we will tell you before the work is undertaken. We will recommend specialists where applicable to help you resolve any faults that we cannot.
- We understand that our customers have busy lives too. If you have to change or cancel an appointment, please give as much notice as possible. We have allocated time in our day specifically for you and late notice cancellation may mean we cannot rebook. We may have turned away other customers if we have a full day. We reserve the right to charge a fee in the event that no-one is home when we attend the property, and/or we cannot gain access. We also reserve the right to charge in the event of a last-minute cancellation, (less than a full 48 hours notice). This will be half our standard service charge - currently £60.
NESTS OR BLOCKAGES
- We are unable to remove live nests in May to September when wild birds - typically jackdaws - are nesting as it is illegal to do so (please see the RSPB guidelines and Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981). If we find a nest in the chimney when we are sweeping, we will usually arrange to come back to remove it when it is legal to do so. Please do not ask us, or any other person, to break the law and remove the nest as encouraging or assisting to do so is also illegal. We will make a charge for our time if we cannot sweep, (this will be half the agreed sweep cost).
- If we are working outdoors (such as fitting a cap or cowl) the work will be dependent upon the weather being suitable for working from a ladder or the use of Devon Cherry Pickers. We are sorry if we have to postpone, but we will do our best to carry out the work in good time.
- While great care is taken to prevent damage to your property, the sweep cannot be held responsible for badly maintained or deteriorating pots, cowls, chimney stacks, fireplaces, stoves, stove firebricks or any other part of your chimney. Material information should be disclosed, such as age and type of covering, and any known problems. We’ll do our best to advise you and take precautions to prevent damage, but in some instances, may recommend remedial work prior to sweeping or ask you to sign a disclaimer to allow us to continue. Please do not be offended, we would rather you knew in advance.Cowls and some chimney pots have a limited life as they have been in situ for many years, and/or may not have been fitted correctly or poor-quality products have been used. Without confirming the security of these from the ground, we cannot accept any responsibility for these coming loose, breaking or falling off. Also, any damage they may cause to roofing and anything below as they fall. If your chimney/flue has not been annually swept as per the UK recommendation’s for burning solid fuels, the sweep price shall increase as it becomes not a standard chimney sweep. If we must clear register plates from debris before we can start, then additional charges shall be added for time onsite. We rely at booking stage for as much information from you as possible before we attend so we can quote an accurate price for you.
- We aim to sweep all types of appliances that burn solid fuel, wood, oil or gas, in residential or commercial premises. We do encounter some problems with wood burning stoves (and sometimes other installations) that have been fitted without provision for sweeping. Worse, some are not to current building regulations and futhermore may be unsafe. We will do our best to sweep but sometimes we will be unable to undertake the job, leaving you with the best advice we can offer to rectify the problem. In the event we are unable to certify that the flue is - in our professional opinion - safe to use we will advise accordingly and provide recommendations to fix any faults. A full service charge is applicable at our discretion - currently £60.
- Steel lined flues are not indestructible. We use the modern Snaplock Rotary Power Sweeping method of power sweeping, for stainless steel flexible and rigid flue systems we will use a specific head and rods to undertake the power sweep. Most liners have a manufacturers warranty of ten years if maintained and swept according to their guidance and industry guidance.
- We follow GDPR regulations with regard to your data and privacy. We will request contact details to send a reminder when your sweep is due for your safety. Customers may opt out of this service at any time upon request in writing. We will not sell your data and only make contact once agreement has been sought to do so.
- We are a local, professional chimney sweeping and installation business and we rely on customers coming back to us year after year. If you like what we do, please tell everyone! If we have disappointed you in any way, please tell us!